UFC 249 is taking place at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena in Florida tonight.
The night’s main event will be an interim lightweight title fight between Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje.
However, there wil be no Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza after the Brazilian tested positive for coronavirus, sparking more controversy about the event taking place just hours before it kicks off.
UFC 249 was originally set for a headline slot in Brooklyn, New York on Saturday, April 18 – with Ferguson taking on Khabib Nurmagomedov.
That was ruled out with New York in lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic and plans to reschedule it in California fell through as well.
White then revealed he was close to sorting out a ‘private island’ to host the card, before broadcaster ESPN and parent company Disney had intervened to cancel the event.
When is UFC 249 taking place?
The event will take place in Florida on May 9.
Here’s the the expected UK start times:
- Early prelims on from 11.30pm (Saturday)
- Prelims from 1am (Sunday)
- Expect Ferguson vs Gaethje around 5am (Sunday)
“I can’t wait to deliver some great fights for the fans,” White said in a press release.
“I want to give a big thanks to Mayor [Lenny] Curry, VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena and Florida State Boxing Commission Executive Director Patrick Cunningham for getting this thing done and giving us a venue to put on these incredible cards, as well our media partners including ESPN and ESPN+, for bringing it to fans.
“My team is ready to go and the fighters are excited to get back in there with these back-to-back events.”
Where to watch UFC 249
- You can watch the main card and the prelims live on BT Sport 1 in the UK.
- If you want to stream for FREE, EE phone customers can grab a three-month BT Sport mobile trial.
- Simply text SPORT to 150, with casting then available to your Smart TV.
- In the US, all prelim bouts will be simulcast on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ in English and Spanish.
- While the main event on ESPN+ will be pay-per-view in the US.
- The early prelims will be shown on UFC Fight Pass app for subscribers.
Who’s on the UFC 249 card?
- Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje (interim lightweight title fight)
- Henry Cejudo vs. Dominick Cruz (bantamweight title fight)
- Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
- Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar
- Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro
- Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis
- Fabricio Werdum vs. Alexey Oleynik
- Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson
- Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price
- Bryce Mitchell vs. Charles Rosa
- Ryan Spann vs. Sam Alvey
UFC 249: What has been said?
Justin Gaethje said: “I’ve been a fan of Tony for a long time. He loves when people call him crazy, it turns him on.
“But he’s a certain kind of crazy that you have to step in the octagon and be comfortable. I believe I’m just as crazy as him in that regard.
“I’ll probably bleed. I hope he breaks my nose, I’ve been waiting for a long time for someone to break my nose, so I can get it fixed. It’s going to be fun.
“I’m going to fight until I’m finished or until Tony’s finished. That’s what I do and that’s what I’ve always done.
“I possess the power to turn his lights off and I believe I will.
“Tony Ferguson is a great competitor,” he said. “12 wins in a row, but I knock him out cold.”