Boxing news: Chris Eubank Jr blasts Billy Joe Saunders over domestic violence ‘joke’ video, calls for long ban

Chris Eubank Jr has ripped into his old rival Billy Joe Saunders following the WBO super-middleweight champion’s latest controversy.

Earlier this week, Saunders was suspended by the BBBofC and apologised after posting a domestic violence ‘joke’ video in which he gave advice for men on how to hit their female partners.

BJSEUBANK - Boxing news: Chris Eubank Jr blasts Billy Joe Saunders over domestic violence ‘joke’ video, calls for long ban
Billy Joe Saunders beat Chris Eubank Jr in 2014
Getty

A week prior, the Brit also produced an apology for laughing over a suspected coronavirus situation involving one of his friends.

When inside the ring, BJS has been near-faultless to date, with an unbeaten 29-0 record, including inflciting Eubank Jr’s first defeat back in 2014.

Outside the ring however, he has been far from faultless and his bitter enemy took satisfaction in pointing this out on Wednesday.

EubankSaunders3 - Boxing news: Chris Eubank Jr blasts Billy Joe Saunders over domestic violence ‘joke’ video, calls for long ban
Eubank Jr and Saunders shared the ring over five years ago

Eubank Jr said: “How many more chances is this idiot going to get before his license is taken away for a good amount of time?

As fighters at the top we have the kids looking up to us, copying what we do inside & outside of the ring.

“Having Billy Joe Saunders as a representative of boxing is an injustice to all women suffering in abusive relationships and to the kids who look to learn from us as ambassadors.”

Saunders had agreed terms for a May 2 bout against Mexico’s pound-for-pound king Canelo Alvarez, but the contest was never announced because the coronavirus pandemic halted all sport.

When asked if Canelo vs Saunders will go ahead, the Brit’s promoter Eddie Hearn told iFL TV: “That all depends if boxing’s back for the summer.

“Obviously we’ve gotta get over his viral video which has upset a lot of people, me included. That’s another conversation.

“Regarding Canelo, I think that it all depends when boxing’s back.

KO COVID-19

The quicker we work together to stop coronavirus spreading, the sooner we can get back into the pubs, the gyms and stadiums and arenas to see live sport again…

STAY AT HOME. Only leave for the following purposes:

  • to shop for basic essentials – only when you really need to
  • to do one form of exercise a day – such as a run, walk or cycle, alone or with other people you live with
  • for any medical need – for example, to visit a pharmacy or deliver essential supplies to a vulnerable person
  • to travel to and from work – but only where this is absolutely necessary

For more info and tips, visit the NHS website.

The government has also issued further detail on what we can do during lockdown.

Everyone should do what they can to stop coronavirus spreading.

“I think both Canelo and GGG would like to have a fight before they fight each other.

“That was their original plan, but again it depends how far back in the year boxing begins.

“I think if it’s July, I think Billy Joe will get that fight.

“I think if it starts going to September/October/November and Canelo’s only gonna box once this year, then maybe he chooses to have the biggest fight he can.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *