Gylfi Sigurdsson has admitted he thought Carlo Ancelotti was joking when the veteran manager told him to play as a deep-lying midfielder.
The 30-year-old Iceland international deployed in central midfield by caretaker boss Duncan Ferguson in the win over Chelsea the day after Marco Silva’s sacking in December.
When Ancelotti took over a fortnight later it was something he immediately raised with Sigurdsson, who admits a similar request would not have been welcomed had it come a few years earlier in his career.
“I didn’t know if he was joking,” Sigurdsson told evertonfc.com. “Carlo is a very experienced and successful manager and we have a good relationship.
“If it had happened five or six years ago, I wouldn’t have been too happy but as you mature and gain more experience it is a good challenge to play a new position and think about completely different things.
Giving COVID-19 the red card
The quicker we work together to stop coronavirus spreading, the sooner we can get back into the pub, the gyms and stadiums and arenas to see live sport again…
1. Practice social distancing by remaining two metres apart from others.
2. Wash your hands regularly
3. Self isolate if you have a fever or cough
Stay at home if you have either:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
For more info and tips, visit the NHS website.
The government has also issued its guidance on social distancing.
Everyone should do what they can to stop coronavirus spreading.
“There are a lot of things I have to think about in games I’ve never thought about before; if we are attacking I have to sit back and make sure we are set up defensively if we lose the ball.
“The things I love are scoring goals and getting in the box, getting on the end of crosses and taking up positions where the ball might fall to you.
“It took a couple of games to get used to something different but I have started to enjoy that position.”