Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has been ruled out of Thursday’s Europa League fixture against AZ Alkmaar.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his 21-man squad have travelled to the Netherlands without the Frenchman, following specialist advice about a foot injury.
Pogba’s ankle knock forced him to miss two games, but he returned for the Red Devils against Rochdale in the Carabao Cup last week.
The Frenchman also played the full 90 minutes of United’s 1-1 draw with Arsenal on Monday.
However, the club say Pogba ‘requires a period of further rest and conservative treatment for the foot injury’.
Speaking at his pre-match press conference in Holland, Solskjaer said it would have been too much of a risk to play Pogba, given that the game will be played on an artificial surface.
He said: “It is after discussions with a specialist that we planned that he needs further treatment and rest on his ankle.
“And I probably wouldn’t risk him on Astroturf anyway if he was available for this game. But he needs a bit of rest now.”
The 26-year-old is yet to score this season amid transfer speculation linking him with moves to Juventus and Real Madrid.
In June, Pogba admitted ‘it could be time for a new challenge’, but United’s £150million valuation was not met and he remained at Old Trafford.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Lille vs Chelsea (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Charlton vs Swansea (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- AZ Alkmaar vs Man United (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Birmingham vs Middlesbrough (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Brighton vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Fulham vs Charlton (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Burnley vs Everton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- West Ham vs Crystal Palace (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
United will also be missing Anthony Martial, Phil Jones and Luke Shaw for the Europa League clash, as well as Aaron Wan-Bissaka due to tonsillitis.
Diogo Dalot and Angel Gomes are available for Thursday’s game, while 19-year-old Brandon Williams has been named in the squad.