Bolton Wanderers say ‘discussions are ongoing with all parties’ after the deadline for a takeover to be completed passed.
The Trotters were told by the EFL they had until 5pm on Tuesday to prove a sale had been done or provide reasons why they require an extension, otherwise a notice for their formal withdrawal from the league will be issued.
Fans are now desperately awaiting news of the club’s fate, and Bolton will clarity their situation later today.
A brief statement from the club – released 11 minutes after the EFL’s deadline passed – read: “Discussions are ongoing with all parties and a further statement will be issued later this evening.”
A deal to sell Bolton to preferred bidders Football Ventures collapsed on Saturday morning – despite being virtually agreed hours earlier – and administrator Paul Appleton had warned on Monday that he would start closing the club down on Wednesday.
Speaking on Tuesday, however, he spoke of his hope that a deal could be reached to save the club.
“Following my statement of yesterday morning, I am glad to report there is continuing dialogue between the parties whose positions will ultimately decide the fate of the club,” said Appleton.
“Myself and my team will continue to do everything possible to facilitate a deal and we will work tirelessly to get this finalised for the club, fans, staff and wider community.
“The future of Bolton Wanderers is still in doubt but I have to believe there can be a positive outcome before today’s 5pm deadline set by the EFL.”
Neighbours Bury are also facing a fight for survival, with expulsion from the Football League now looking a certainty for the club.
Bury were also given until 5pm on Tuesday to complete a sale of the club but a proposed takeover by C&N Sporting Risk fell through just 90 minutes before the deadline.