Boxing news: Andy Ruiz Jr not happy with Saudi Arabia for Anthony Joshua rematch, Canelo vs Billy Joe Saunders possible

Here is a round-up of the best of today’s boxing news…

Andy Ruiz Jr says Anthony Joshua rematch WON’T be in Saudi Arabia

Ruiz has finally broken his silence after his rematch with Joshua was announced for December 7 in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.

Mexico’s heavyweight champion produced a deafening silence after Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn revealed the second fight’s location, but has now declared that he has no intention of going to the Middle East.

Billy Joe Saunders reportedly approved for Canelo Alvarez’s next fight as one of three new possible opponents

Saunders has joined the list of potential opponents for Canelo’s next fight after US broadcaster DAZN approved him, according to reports.

It is well known that Canelo is currently on the hunt for his second bout of the year, but needs the go-ahead from DAZN – who are paying him mega money and expect top opposition – before his promoters Golden Boy can make serious progress in negotiations.

Now, it’s claimed by Mike Coppinger that Billy Joe Saunders, Demetrius Andrade and Jermall Charlo have also been approved by DAZN and added to the list of potential foes.

TALKSPORT Billy Joe Saunders and Canelo Alvarez - Boxing news: Andy Ruiz Jr not happy with Saudi Arabia for Anthony Joshua rematch, Canelo vs Billy Joe Saunders possible
Billy Joe Saunders is now a possible opponent for Canelo
Getty

Tyson Fury says he’s ‘1,000,000 per cent’ sure Andy Ruiz Jr KOs Anthony Joshua in rematch

Fury has declared that he is ‘1,000,000 per cent’ confident Andy Ruiz Jr will knock Anthony Joshua out once again when they meet in their rematch.

Reflecting on their first bout, the ‘Gypsy King’ told First Take: “I’m a big believer in – When one door closes, another one opens.

“It was all about Joshua at that time when he was fighting Ruiz, nobody gave Ruiz a prayer.

“But now it’s about Ruiz and I believe Ruiz does exactly the same the second time round.”

When asked if he anticipated another knockout, Fury continued: “One million per cent. I thought Ruiz won every round in that fight.”

FurySchwarz - Boxing news: Andy Ruiz Jr not happy with Saudi Arabia for Anthony Joshua rematch, Canelo vs Billy Joe Saunders possible
Fury has made his prediction
GETTY

Floyd Mayweather reacts to being No 1 on controversial ‘Greatest Boxers of All Time’ list

Mayweather has proudly taken to social media to boast after being crowned the ‘Greatest Boxer of All Time’ by a computer algorithm.

Record-keeping website Boxrec also hold rankings on current fighters based on a controversial algorithm which often causes mass debate among fans.

However, they recently updated to produce a list which mathematically ranks the best boxers ever, which once again caused mass debate among fans.

View this post on Instagram

Numbers don’t lie and boxrec told the truth. It is what it is 1f937 1f3fd 200d 2642 fe0f - Boxing news: Andy Ruiz Jr not happy with Saudi Arabia for Anthony Joshua rematch, Canelo vs Billy Joe Saunders possible @greg_tmt @badiesel1

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

IBF grant exception to allow Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua rematch, winner must face Kubrat Pulev

The Ruiz Jr vs Joshua rematch will go ahead with all three heavyweight titles on the line.

Ruiz stunned AJ to claim his WBA, IBF and WBO belts on June 1 at MSG, though there was debate over whether he’d be able to hang onto all of them in the aftermath.

Both the IBF and WBO have mandatory challengers due soon, but this will not affect the rematch – which is disputably scheduled for December 7 in Saudi Arabia.

The WBO previously designated Oleksandr Usyk as their challenger, though are happy to allow the rematch to take place first before ordering the winner to face the Ukrainian.

And now the IBF have made a similar decision, with Kubrat Pulev set down as mandatory.

7Pulev - Boxing news: Andy Ruiz Jr not happy with Saudi Arabia for Anthony Joshua rematch, Canelo vs Billy Joe Saunders possible
Pulev is the IBF heavyweight mandatory challenger
Getty

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *