Laurence Bassini talkSPORT interview: Bolton administrators react with ‘dismay’ and claim he’s threatened them since proposed takeover collapsed

Laurence Bassini has been accused of ‘threatening’ Bolton Wanderers’ administrators in a statement released by David Rubin and Partners.

The former Watford owner failed with a bid to buy the cash-strapped club earlier this year, but hopes to make a new takeover offer shortly.

JIM BASSINI e1555509270492 - Laurence Bassini talkSPORT interview: Bolton administrators react with ‘dismay’ and claim he’s threatened them since proposed takeover collapsed
Bassini spoke to talkSPORT host Jim White on Friday morning

In an exclusive interview with talkSPORT on Friday morning, Bassini claimed to have been given £25million by David Sullivan, the West Ham co-owner, to help him fund a fresh offer.

Bassini said: “Dave Sullivan, who I’ve known since I was a child, called me and said, ‘look Laurence, you’re going to need some help because you’re getting slaughtered out there’.

“He then says, ‘I’m going to give you the money so you can go and do this. I’m going to give you £25million so you can sort yourself out’ – which he’s done.

“I’ve got seven or eight of my own which is available.”

David Rubin and Partners responded to Bassini’s interview by releasing a statement on Bolton’s official website.

In the statement, the League One club’s administrators clarified the situation regarding Bassini’s failed takeover bid – and also accused the English businessman of ‘threatening’ them following the collapsed deal.

“We note with dismay the interview given by Laurence Bassini to talkSPORT this morning,” the statement read.

“The simple fact is, for several reasons, Mr Bassini was not the successful bidder under the process we have carried out to sell Bolton Wanderers.

“His bid was not the best for the club. Moreover, he was not able to satisfy either the proof or source of funding to the satisfaction of the process or within the proscribed timeframe. That remains the case.

“Subsequently, Mr Bassini has sent a vast number of erratic and threatening emails and text messages, as well as making threatening calls, to the point where we have instructed lawyers to deal with them.

“We will be making no further comment about Mr Bassini or his claims.”

One thought on “Laurence Bassini talkSPORT interview: Bolton administrators react with ‘dismay’ and claim he’s threatened them since proposed takeover collapsed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *