This season’s Six Nations is set for a thrilling conclusion on Saturday with three countries still in title contention.
Wales, England and Ireland can all win silverware with the former currently top of the table with four wins from four.
Wales take on Ireland this weekend while England face Scotland and there are a host of possible ways to where the trophy will end up.
What are the permutations?
- Wales will win the Six Nations title and clinch a first Grand Slam for seven years if they beat Ireland in Cardiff.
- If Wales and England finish level on 20 points, which is quite possible, then Wales will still be crowned champions as Grand Slam winners are automatically awarded three bonus points under Six Nations rules.
- A draw between Wales and Ireland – and England losing to Scotland at Twickenham – would see Wales win the title without a Grand Slam.
- A draw between Wales and Ireland – and England beating Scotland – would see England crowned champions.
- If Ireland beat Wales and England defeat Scotland, then England will be champions.
- If Ireland beat Wales and England fail to beat Scotland, then Ireland will be champions.
- If Ireland beat Wales and gain a bonus point and England beat Scotland but don’t gain a bonus point, then England will be champions due to their superior points difference barring an unlikely 65-point swing in Ireland’s favour.
LATEST SIX NATIONS NEWS
Gregor Townsend makes six changes as Scotland look to end losing run vs England
Liam Williams to start vs Ireland with Wales unchanged for Six Nations finale
no go for joe
'Dropping Cokanasiga is just ridiculous' – England fans fume at Eddie Jones
Joe Cokanasiga dropped by England for Scotland clash with Jack Nowell returning
England centre Manu Tuilagi signs new contract with Leicester Tigers
Eddie Jones wants hostility on the pitch so England get revenge over Scotland
Everything you need to know for the Six Nations, including fixtures and dates
MORE LIKE IT
Ireland keep Six Nations hopes alive with bonus-point win against France
England thrash Italy at Twickenham to keep Six Nations dream alive
Wales still on for the Grand Slam after battling win over Scotland
Six Nations squad lists for England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France and Italy
Priestland kicks six penalties for Bath as they stun Saracens at home
What about the bonus points system?
A bonus point is awarded in the Six Nations if you score four or more tries or if you lose within seven points.
England have been at their attacking best at times in this tournament claiming three bonus points in their matches so far.
But Wales have had to make do with collecting just the four points per win and are yet to get any extras.
Yet, if Warren Gatland’s side go onto win all five matches, they are automatically awarded three bonus points for achieving the Grand Slam.
This would ensure they lift the Six Nations title, even if England get maximum points in their final fixture.
England can only get 20 points at most in tournament, while Wales will get a minimum 23 points if they remain undefeated.
What are the remaining Six Nations fixtures?
Saturday, March 16
Italy v France: 12:30pm, Stadio Olimpico
Wales v Ireland: 2:45pm, Millennium Stadium
England v Scotland: 5pm, Twickenham